Welcome to AK!
Who am I? My name is Andria Kennedy, and I am a freelance writer as well as a science fiction and fantasy writer. I am also a shameless geek (I know, you couldn’t tell) – and a firm believer that all of the writers in those categories are, as well. (For more about me, consult my Full Bio)
I started making up stories before I ever held a writing instrument in my hand, and it’s the one thing I can honestly say I’ve never stopped doing throughout my entire life. Writing and storytelling make me happy and keep me as close to sane as I am ever going to get (don’t think I can’t hear some of you snickering in the back!); it’s the only thing I always knew I wanted to do and never wavered from. I have worked several other jobs, but I never stopped writing in my own time. So when I hit a crossroads this winter (with some “gentle” shoving off the cliff from friends), I realized it was time to stop giving it the backseat and bring it into the spotlight.
Ta-Dah! Antihero Kreative was born!
This is the brainchild of my writing knowledge (and learning mistakes) as I move forward as both a freelance writer and with my YA writing. I can promise laughter, I can promise geek-references, I can promise to answer any questions you may have (and protection from trolls), and I can promise to share the bumps, pitfalls, mountains, out-right chasms, and boo-boos of the journey (I am never without band-aids). Each post will fall into one of the following categories to help you navigate the fun that is my brain:
- Arkham: If writing were fun and easy, everyone would do it. The truth is, though, much of it involves staring at a keyboard while banging your head repeatedly against a wall and pleading with characters to behave. It falls somewhere between the lines of fun and torture, and we sometimes need a way to restore our sanity closer to…well, closer to not landing us in an actual institution. That’s where these posts come in.
- Bag of Tricks: You need a pencil and a piece of paper – DONE. Just kidding. Technology has done nothing if not benefit the writer, if only we choose to embrace it. There are a lot of tools out there for us – some more beneficial than others.
- Brain Break: And you thought school was over (…or maybe, for you, it’s not, but you’re supposed to be paying attention to it)! Guess what – SCHOOL IS NEVER OVER! Do you actually know what an antihero is? Where do you weigh in on the Oxford comma? Is cursive a dead language? We’re gonna talk about all of it!
- Coming Attractions: These would be snippets of my own work – novel or short story – that I am particularly pleased with (probably in the heat of the moment…don’t get attached to them). They won’t be very long – in theory.
- The Dead Pool: Writers cannot live on writing alone (trust me, I’ve tried). This means we do have to take care of our health AWAY from the desk and computer (put the phone/laptop DOWN!), and these posts are intended to cover that topic.
- Flotsam and Jetsam: This category encompasses the random posts that I didn’t feel fit anywhere else, such as perspectives on being a reader versus a writer (you do have to be both, after all), general observations around me that I feel like sharing, or tidbits I pick up and want to post.
- HQ: Welcome to home base. Being a freelance writer (and a writer, in general) means working from home, so I’m always around my little family, and things will inevitably get shared – lucky you!
- Level Up: Everyone likes to get excited about milestones, and they like to share them…or so I’ve been told. This is me learning to do just that.
- Lightning Strike: Any writer will tell you that inspiration can come from literally anywhere, and these posts will set out to prove that. Note for legal purposes: Under no circumstances am I advocating you get struck by lightning just to get a new idea.
- The Minions: Everyone gets excited about getting to talk about their kids, and I’m not an exception; it just happens that my kids have four feet.
- Photo Bomb: I think this one is self-explanatory, but I will put in a slight disclaimer that I am not the photographer in the family – that would be my father and sister.
- Read or Die: I set annual Reading Challenges for myself on Goodreads, and as I finish each book, I post my reviews.
- Told Ya So: Writers are readers, and there are just some amazing quotes out there that beg to be shared.
Okay, so excited yet? Because I am! I welcome everyone to the Antiheroes, and I can’t wait to get to know you!
The AK Feed
Getting older is – unfortunately – mandatory. Growing up, on the other hand, is voluntary. There are pluses and minuses on each side – to both. And while I’m not a fan of the former (by any stretch), I suppose it’s not entirely bad.
“Music tames the wild beast.” It also gets the creative process moving when you find yourself trapped in a bind. Something about the delicate rhythm (or lack of rhythm) appeals to the imagination – with or without the influence of lyrics.
Join the Antiheroes
Receive an email every time a new post hits the Feed.