The best freelance writers roll with the punches. And jabs. And hooks. We research, investigate, and collaborate with editors of every background for different publications. Then we adapt our brilliant pitches, track down sources, and dazzle with our writing skills.
And we repeat the game over and over and over and over – well, you get the idea. It’s a different process from content and copywriting (which you already glimpsed in my portfolio; of course, you did).
These beauties? They demonstrate different facets of my writing:
- Finding sources and conducting interviews (on sketchy timelines!)
- Understanding the scientific process (where appropriate)
- Blending storytelling and information to connect with readers
- Working on a deadline
Print (or online) sources have different expectations. But I’ve got those tools on my utility belt.
And if you’re looking for ways to incorporate written publications into your projects? All you need to do is ask. Together we can brainstorm the perfect journals to target.
Oh, and if you’re worried about affiliate links, you’re in the clear. I don’t make a single penny if you click these links. Whatever compensation I received already made its way to the bank. (And odds are the Minions spent everything eons ago)
- Kennedy, Andria. “Pains of Glass” in Existential Hologram. Ed. Jason Russell. Starry Eyed Press. Mar. 2023.
- Story took Honorable Mention in Writers of the Future Contest 1st Quarter 2022
- Kennedy, Andria. “Fetching Catnip Mice” in Chicken Soup for the Soul: Lessons Learned From My Cat. Ed. Amy Newmark. Chicken Soup for the Soul, LLC. Feb 2023.
- Kennedy, Andria. “The Demon Assistant” in Chicken Soup for the Soul: My Clever, Curious, Caring Cat. Ed. Amy Newmark. Chicken Soup for the Soul, LLC. Sept 2021.
- Davis, Andria, George Maul, and Jeffrey Simmons. Oct. 15, 2001. “Seawater Temperature Trends at USA Tide Gauge Sites.” Geophysical Research Letters. 28:20. p. 3935-3937.
Magazines and Literary Journals
- Kennedy, Andria. “‘Hysterical’ Women Helped Me Regain My Voice.” Electric Literature. January 10, 2023.
- Kennedy, Andria. “I Was a Vet Tech For 10 Years. Here’s What Finally Pushed Me Over the Edge.” HuffPost Personal. Sep. 30, 2022.
- Kennedy, Andria. “Trigger Warnings for the Insecure Moviegoer.” Points in Case. September 10, 2022.
- NoMoreFear. “Abortion Was Difficult Enough Before Technology Elevated My Fear.” The Doe. Aug. 2022.
- Kennedy, Andria. “Despite My Determination to Hold Onto My Dignity, I Cried. ‘The Invisible Kingdom’ calls attention to the medical gaslighting of chronic pain patients.” Electric Literature. July 26, 2022.
- Kennedy, Andria. July 20, 2022. “I Braved Therapy for My Depression: It Wasn’t the Trauma I Thought.” Open Minds Quarterly. 24: 2. p. 8-10.
- Kennedy, Andria. “Something Borrowed, Something Sanitized.” Offbeat Bride. Dec. 21, 2020.
- Zak, Ivan, DVM, MBA. Ghostwritten. “A New Approach to Solving Veterinary Burnout.” Today’s Veterinary Business. Nov. 2020.
- Kennedy, Andria. “Planning a Wedding During Plague Time.” Offbeat Bride. Nov. 9, 2020.
- Balabanov, Alex. Ghostwritten. “Digital Technology and the Future of Veterinary Medicine.” Vetstoria. Sep. 9, 2020.
What are publications without bragging rights? After all, not everything comes with a fancy appearance. (Well, not always)
- Writers of the Future Contest
- Honorable Mention 1st Quarter 2022 (“Pains of Glass” – Science Fiction)
- Silver Honorable Mention 4th Quarter 2021 (“Glissando” – Science Fiction)
- Silver Honorable Mention 1st Quarter 2021 (“Everapple” – Dark Fantasy)
- Honorable Mention 3rd Quarter 2005 (“Glissando” – Fantasy)
- Quarter-Finalist 2nd Quarter 2005 (“Sister Mine” – Horror)
- Quarter-Finalist 4th Quarter 2004 (“Pains of Glass” – Fantasy)